Back to ‘Bursaries’

Before you apply

If you want to apply for a bursary please check the criteria and documents you will need first.

Check you are eligible

We welcome your application for a dance bursary, music bursary or drama bursary if:

  • you live in the UK,
  • you can demonstrate talent and dedication to improving your skills in your chosen art form, and
  • you have someone who can support your application with a written reference, and
  • either
    • you are in full or part-time education and eligible for Pupil Premium and/or Free School Meals, or if you aren’t in education, employment or training, or are applying from Scotland, you can give us evidence of the state benefits you or your family receive so we can assess your financial situation.

Even if you meet the criteria, we unfortunately cannot guarantee you will get a bursary as there is a lot of competition and our funding is limited.

Unfortunately, the trustees are unable to consider applications from students at private vocational performing art schools who are under the age of 16.

Choose a type of bursary

There are three main types of funding you can apply for; click one to see its particular requirements:

Gather the right documents

When you apply, you’ll need scans, photos or documents of each of these:

  • a letter from the team at your school confirming that you receive Pupil Premium or Free School Meals (if you do receive them); 
  • documents to show you (or your family) receive government benefits (if you are not in education, employment or training and can’t get a Pupil Premium record);
  • a reference from your referee (signed, stamped and on school letterhead paper or other);
  • a copy of a utility bill or council tax letter, as proof of address;
  • a copy of an offer letter or enrolment letter at your dance, music or drama school;
  • a copy of a letter of invitation to audition at an accredited drama school or conservatoire (if applicable); 
  • copies of any academic transcripts, certificates or qualifications in your art form, or a CV, if you want to show us any of these to enhance your application (not essential);
  • a link, if you have one, to a YouTube or other online video, no more than five minutes long, of your performing arts practice (not essential).

Check what questions you’ll be asked in the form here.

See also